What is Double Fertilization?

Asked by  | 19th Aug, 2008, 04:37: PM

Expert Answer:


In fertilization, when both the male gametes participate in the process of fusion and the fusion takes place twice at 2 places, the process is called double fertilization.

One sperm nucleus in the pollen tube fuses with the egg cell in the embryo sac, and the other sperm nucleus fuses with the diploid endosperm nucleus. The fertilized egg cell is a zygote that develops into the diploid embryo of the sporophyte. The fertilized endosperm nucleus develops into the triploid endosperm, a nutritive tissue that sustains the embryo and seedling.

Answered by  | 19th Aug, 2008, 06:07: PM

Queries asked on Sunday & after 7pm from Monday to Saturday will be answered after 12pm the next working day.