What does Voltage basically mean? physically what does it mean? i am not able to understand. like current means flow of charges. what does voltage actually mean? i dont want the definition. i want to know what it actually means? and also difference between emf & voltage & potential difference & potential drop?
Asked by Abhishek Wagle | 24th Jun, 2014, 05:50: PM
The Voltage at certain point under an electric field is the amount of work done to bring a charge of 1 C at that point against that electric field.
For example if a voltage at some point is 5 volt, it means that 5 joules of work is done to bring a positive charge of 1C to that point.
Voltage and potential refers to the same quantity.
The voltage or potential varies with the distance. The difference in potential at two points is called the potential difference.
It means amount of work that has to be done to move the charge of 1C from one point to other point.
In a cell or battery, there are two electrodes at different potential. The electrode having rich source of electrons is at negative potential while the electrode lacking electrons is at positive potential.
Hence the difference between the two electrodes potential in a cell in an open circuit is called EMF.
Potential drop is again same as potential difference.
Answered by Ravindra Kapal | 2nd Jul, 2014, 06:22: PM
- pls solve
- A battery of end E and internal resistance r is used in a circuit with a variable external resistance R. Find the value of R for which the power consumed in R is maximum.
- By using the graph of terminal potential difference with external resistance how can we find internal resistance
- A 9 V battery is connected in series with a resistor .The terminal voltage is found to be 8 V. Current through the circuit is measured as 5 A. What is the internal resistance of the battery?
- Establish the expression for current flowing through an external resistance R connected to a cell of e.m.f. E and internal resistance r.
- Draw a circuit diagram for the comparying of emf of two primary cell using a potentiometer
- two cells of voltage 10 v and 2 v and internal resistances of 10ohm and 5 ohm respectively, are connected in parallel with positive end of 10v battery connected to negative pole of 2v battery.find the effective voltage and effective internal resistance of the combination.
- What do you know about the internal resistance of the cell? On what factors does it depend?
- Under what condition, the terminal potential difference of a cell is greater than its emf.
- Differentiate between Emf and Potential difference of a cell.
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number