What do you understand by corrosion? Explain ways to prevent it.
Asked by Vaishalivpandya99 | 26th Feb, 2019, 09:48: PM
Corrosion slowly coats the surfaces of metallic objects with oxides or other salts of the metal.
It causes enormous damage to buildings, bridges, ships and to all objects made of metals, especially objects made of iron.
In corrosion, a metal is oxidised by the loss of electrons to oxygen and the formation of oxides.
Corrosion of iron (commonly known as rusting) occurs in the presence of water and air.
1) Galvanization of Iron. By depositing a layer of zinc on the iron article the rusting of iron can be prevented.
2) By coating the surface of iron with a thin layer of paint or oil. They act as a barrier and do not let the air and moisture come in contact with metal.
3) By connecting iron with magnesium rod or zinc rod as they are more reactive than Iron so they are preferentially corroded leaving Iron uncorroded.
Answered by Ramandeep | 27th Feb, 2019, 10:46: AM
- sodium doesn't react with water
- How iron is rusting?
- What is metal?
- Chemistry questions for class 7 ICSE of de nobili school mugma please answer all questions as first as possible when answer please inform me .pls zoom and see the question.
- Chemistry questions for class 7 ICSE please answer all questions as first as possible when answer please inform me.
- What is radical ?
- Why iron forms two oxide?
- What is rusting?How to balance a equation?
- What is the function of manganese dioxide?
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number