what are transition metals?

Asked by 2joseph | 23rd Oct, 2009, 06:29: AM

Expert Answer:

The d block elements are called transition metals. and the f block elements are called inner transition metals.

The d-block of the periodic table contains the elements of the groups 3-12 in  which the d orbitals are progressively filled in each of the four long periods.

The elements constituting the f -block are those in which the 4 f and 5 f orbitals are progressively filled in the latter two long periods; these elements are formal members of group 3 from which they have been taken out to form a separate f-block of the periodic table.

Answered by  | 23rd Oct, 2009, 04:26: PM

Queries asked on Sunday & after 7pm from Monday to Saturday will be answered after 12pm the next working day.