What are the various ways in which variation is caused? please explain in detail
Asked by joshiraghavendra53 | 25th Feb, 2015, 08:01: PM
Some of the causes of variation are:
(a) Mutation: Mutation refers to a sudden change in the nucleotide sequence of the genetic material of an organism. Change in a particular gene causes variation which results in change in phenotyope of the organism. Mutations can be caused various pollutants, radioactive substances, metals, etc.
(b) DNA replication: During DNA replication, changes in the genetic constitution occur while adding one more copy of DNA. It helps in causing variation which eventually leads to evolution and survival advantage.
(c) Environmental factors: Characteristics of organisms can be affected by factors such as climate, diet, culture and lifestyle. Variation caused by surroundings is called environmental variation.
(d) Sexual reproduction: Sexual reproduction involves the fusion of two different germ cells. It involves the process of meiosis or gamete formation. During meiosis, crossing over takes place between the genes and hence, new combinations are formed. Thus, greater variations and hence, greater diversities are generated.
(e) Gene flow: The movement of genes from one population to another causes genetic variation amongst the population.
Answered by Sheetal Kolte | 26th Feb, 2015, 10:59: AM
- How many perfect pair of chromosomes are found in the father of a girl?
- Explain the mechanism of heridity changes.
- What is deocydeoxyribonu?
- Why males are called heterogametic?
- wat is heredity
- What do you mean by heridity
- sir/mam would you help me to find out the difference between a genotypic ratio and phenotypic ratio?
- I want to know how to self pollinate and cross pollinate the plants(genes) in mendels experiment? what type of pollination did mendel do in his experiment i.e. in F1 and F2 generation?
- what are the functions of chromosomes???????????.....
- The science dealing with biotechnology is called ?
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number