What are the various ways in which variation is caused? please explain in detail
Asked by joshiraghavendra53 | 25th Feb, 2015, 08:01: PM
Some of the causes of variation are:
(a) Mutation: Mutation refers to a sudden change in the nucleotide sequence of the genetic material of an organism. Change in a particular gene causes variation which results in change in phenotyope of the organism. Mutations can be caused various pollutants, radioactive substances, metals, etc.
(b) DNA replication: During DNA replication, changes in the genetic constitution occur while adding one more copy of DNA. It helps in causing variation which eventually leads to evolution and survival advantage.
(c) Environmental factors: Characteristics of organisms can be affected by factors such as climate, diet, culture and lifestyle. Variation caused by surroundings is called environmental variation.
(d) Sexual reproduction: Sexual reproduction involves the fusion of two different germ cells. It involves the process of meiosis or gamete formation. During meiosis, crossing over takes place between the genes and hence, new combinations are formed. Thus, greater variations and hence, greater diversities are generated.
(e) Gene flow: The movement of genes from one population to another causes genetic variation amongst the population.
Answered by Sheetal Kolte | 26th Feb, 2015, 10:59: AM
- why is DNA copying an essential part of the process of reproduction
- which of the process sexual reproduction or Asexual Reproduction bring about maximum variation in the offspring
- Write the name of an insect in which similar type (as humans) of sex determination takes place.
- draw a cross between two pure breeding recessive parent with shape and colour of the pea seed
- if parent has TT than is it possible for any offspring to have tt
- State the 3 laws of inheritance
- what is the scientific name of green peas?
- what are variations?
- right or wrong in RNA nitrogen base thymine is replace by uracil
- A man with blood group A marries a women with blood group o and their daughter has blood group o. write the possible progeny in F1 generation ?
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number