What are the limitations of OHM'S Law ?
Asked by tanishqa.rathod | 16th Apr, 2015, 09:07: PM
Semiconductor diodes, vacuum tubes, liquid electrolytes,transistor etc does not obey ohm's law.For such non ohmic devices the value of R is not a constant. Ohm's law fails when V/I is not a constant.
1. As per ohm's law the current varies uniformly with potential difference.The curve drawn between potential and current must be a staright line. But in case of conductors, due to rise in temperature, with increase in current the resistance changes and hence the V-I graph will be slightly curved. Ohm's law is obeyed only when the temperature of the conductor remains constant.
2. In semiconductors diodes, the increase in current for the same change in voltage during reverse bias is smaller than that during the forward bias. This indicates that the variation of current with potential difference depends upon the sign of the potential difference applied. Dependence of V on current I is nonlinear in such a case.
3. In thryristor, the current decreases with increase in the potential difference.
4. In electrolytes, the back emf developed causes a variation in the V-I graph.
Answered by Faiza Lambe | 17th Apr, 2015, 08:38: AM
- explain ohm s law
- An electric iron has a rating of 750w,220v, calculate the current flowing through it and its resistance when in use
- Study the VI graph for a resistor as shown in the figure and prepare a table showing the values of I (in amperes) corresponding to four different values of V (in volts). Find the value of current for V = 10 volts. How can we determine the resistance of the resistor from this graph?
- what is the unit of resistivity?
- a potential difference of 10 volt is needed to make a current of 0.02 impair for flow through a wire. what potential difference is needed to make a current of 250 mili ampere flows through the same wire
- Define resistance and also explain it through ohm law?
- potential diffrence
- define the term ohm meter
- (a) Why do copper or aluminium wires generally used for electrical transmission and distribution purposes ? (b) Two wires, one of copper and other of manganin, have equal lengths and equal resistances. Which wire is thicker ? Given that resistivity of copper is lower than that of manganin.
- What is Ohm's Law
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number