What are the defining properties of living organisms?
Asked by shekhardivy20 | 4th Jul, 2015, 07:21: AM
The defining properties of living organisms are-
1. Nutrition- Taking in nutrients which are organic substances and mineral ions, containing raw materials and energy for growth and tissue repair, absorbing and assimilating them.
2. Excretion- Removal from organisms of toxic materials, the waste products of metabolism
3. Respiration- Chemical reactions that break down nutrient molecules in living cells to release energy.
4. Reproduction- Progresses that make more of the same kind of organism.
5. Growth- The permanent increase in size and dry mass by an increase in number of cells, cell size, or both.
6. Movement- An action by an organism or part of an organism that changes position or place.
But growth and movement cannot be taken as defining property because there are certain living things which do not show these properties. For example, infertile couples cannot reproduce yet they are living
Answered by Sivanand Patnaik | 4th Jul, 2015, 10:50: AM
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number