What are the conditions under which a force does no work?
Asked by Topperlearning User | 4th Jul, 2014, 12:50: PM
A force does no work when
- the displacement is zero,
- the displacement is perpendicular to the direction of the force, and
- the conservative force moves a body over a closed path.
Answered by | 4th Jul, 2014, 02:50: PM
- Calculate the work done in raising a stone of mass 5 kg and specific gravity 3,lying at the bed of a lake through a height of5 km .
- 25th sum
- A block of mass 2.5kg is sliding down a smooth inclined plane. The spring arranged near the bottom of the inclined plane has a force constant 600 N/m. Find the compression in the spring just after the block strikes the spring. Horizontal length=4m Height=3m Inclined length=5m
- An electron of energy10^3 eV is fired normally to the infinite.Conducting plate from 5mm.Calculate the minimum surface charge density on the conducting plate so that electron does not strike the plate .
- Two blocks A(3kg) and B(2kg) resting on a smooth horizontal surface is connected by a spring of stiffness 480N/m. Initially the spring is undefined and a velocity of 2m/s is imparted to A along the line of the spring away from B .The max extension in meters of the spring subsequent motion is
- Predict the sign of the work done in the following cases:-(a) work done by a man in lifting a bucket out of a well by means of a rope tied to the bucket. (b) work done by gravitational force in the above case (a).(c) work done by friction on a body sliding down an inclined plane. (d) work done by the resistive force of air on a vibrating pendulum in bringing it to rest.
- A body constrained to move along the z-axis of a coordinate system is subjected to a constant force F given by where are unit vectors along the x, y and z-axis of the system respectively. What is the work done by this force in moving the body through a distance of 4 m along the z-axis?
- Convert 1 kilowatt hour into joules.
- A variable force acts on a box. Find the work done on the block as it is moved from x=0m to x=20m.
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number