What are dams and along with it give its 5 advantages?
Asked by vatsalchoudhary41 | 6th Aug, 2015, 05:39: PM
A dam is a barrier across flowing water which hamper, directs or reduces the flow of water. five advantages of dams are:
- Dams and reservoirs can be effectively used to control floods by regulating river water flows downstream the dam.
- Electricity produced by utilising the falling water of a dam is known as hydro electricity. Dam thus helps in providing cheap and clean energy. This helps in conserving resources like coal.
- Dams and reservoirs are constructed to store surplus waters during wet periods, which can be used for irrigating arid lands. One of the major benefits of dams and reservoirs is that water flows can be regulated as per agricultural requirements of the various regions over the year.
- Properly designed and well-constructed dams play a great role in optimally meeting the drinking water requirements of the people. Water stored in reservoirs is also used vastly for meeting industrial needs.
- Lake which is formed as a result of the construction of dam can be used for water sports and leisure and pleasure activities. Often large dams become tourist attractions in their own right.
Answered by Social Science Expert | 7th Aug, 2015, 07:57: AM
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number