what are canal rays?
Asked by GAGAN KHARE | 7th Jan, 2014, 07:14: PM
- A German scientist, E.Goldstein modified the discharge tube and passed an electric current through it.
- He found that positively charged rays were emitted from the anode in the discharge tube. These rays were called 'Canal Rays'.
- When an electric field was applied, these rays deflected towards the negatively charged plate. Thus, Goldstein concluded that an atom contains positively charged particles along with the electrons.
- These positively charged particles were named as 'protons' by a British scientist, Ernest Rutherford.
- Canal rays were also called anode rays since they emitted from anode (electrode connected to positive terminal of high voltage source) in the gas discharge experiments using perforated cathode.
Answered by Karishma Kapoor | 8th Jan, 2014, 11:22: AM
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number