Vinay was trying to create sodium acetate, he added ethanoic acid and ‘A’ in an open vessel. He also added few drops of concentrated H2SO4 to this and was surprised when the solution gave a sweet effervescence. So he repeated this experiment in a closed vessel and obtained ethyl acetate. Then he added ‘B’ and created sodium acetate. Find A and B.
Asked by rushabhjain.a | 14th Mar, 2019, 10:44: AM
Compound 'A; is ethyl alcohol C2H5OH
When ethanoic acid is added to ethyl alcohol (C2H5OH) in the presence of concentrated H2SO4 gives ethyl acetate (CH3COOC2H5)
Compound B is sodium hydroxide (NaOH).
When ethyl acetate (CH3COOC2H5) is treated with sodium hydroxide (NaOH) it gives sodium acetate (CH3COONa) as a product.
Answered by Ramandeep | 14th Mar, 2019, 06:09: PM
- properties of ethanol ?
- A compound 'C' with molecular formula C2H4O2 reacts with Na metal to form compound 'R' and evolve a gas which burns with pop sound. 'C' reacts with an alcohol 'A' in presence of an acid to form a compound C2H4O2. On addition of NaOH to 'C' it gives 'R' and water. 'S' on treatment with NaOH gives back 'R' and 'A'. Identify C,R,A,S and write down the reactions involved.
- Why is unsaturated fatty acids are added in soap
- A carbon compound ‘P’ on heating with excess conc. H2 SO4 forms another carbon compound ‘Q’ which on addition of hydrogen in the presence of nickel catalyst forms a saturated carbon compound ‘R’. One molecule of ‘R’ on combustion forms two molecules of carbon dioxide and three molecules of water. Identify P, Q and R and write chemical equations for the reactions involved.
- why soap is collidal in solution? how it does ion-ion repultion?
- how are ester formed with reaction
- I have a doubt in science please clear my doubt.
- The general formula of an ester where R represents an alkyl group is ? what is ans and explain?
- what is dring solution ?
- Difference between toilet soaps and bathing bars?
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number