Two protons separated by a distance 'r' travelling n the same direction with velocity 'v' show that the ratio of magnetic and electric forces acting between them is (v/c)^2, c is the speed of light.
Asked by Tanya raj | 21st Aug, 2015, 08:19: PM
The electric force between the two protons is given as
Now, the magnetic force is given as FB = qvB
To find B:
The magnetic field is given from Biot-Savarts law as
dL is the length element of the conductor. However, we do not have any conductor here, but only protons moving.
So, the expression will be altered for charge and not current.
We know that I = q/t, so in time dt, the current moves a length dL. So, we get
I dL = q dL/dt = qv
Hence, the magnetic field is
Therefore, the magnetic force is given as
Hence, the ratio of electric and magnetic forces is
Now, we know that the speed of light is given as
Therefore, we get the ratio as
Answered by Romal Bhansali | 22nd Aug, 2015, 09:05: PM
- An electron moves in a circular orbit of radius 0.51A around a nucleus at a frequency of 6.8times10^(15)Hz .Estimate the magnetic field at the nucleus
- how are the magnetic field lines different from the electrostatic field lines.
- Why cyclotron can not be used to accelerate neutron?
- Why cyclotron is not suitable for accelerating electrons?
- Write any two uses of cyclotron.
- Why the set up of cyclotron is placed in an evacuated chamber?
- An electron beam was deflected in a given field which was perpendicular to the beam. The beam follows a parabolic path after deflection. Give answer whether the field was electric field or magnetic field.
- What will be the force on a charged particle moving in a region where uniform electric as well as magnetic field are acting?
- What do you mean by cyclotron frequency?
- Derive an expression for maximum energy gained by the positive ion using a cyclotron.
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number