Two athletes on a team,A and B,are practising to compete in a boat race.Athlete A has a mass of 70kg.B has a mass of 75kg and the boat has a mass of 20kg.Athlete A can exert an average force of 400N and B an average force of 420N on the boat using paddles.During paddling,the magnitude of the water resistance on the boat is 380N.Calculate the acceleration of the boat
Asked by bharatsinh226 | 1st Jul, 2017, 04:27: PM
Let us approach this interesting question step by step, hope this will encourage you to actively tackle all your doubts :)
Assuming that athletes A and B are in the same boat.
- Calculate total mass M = 70+75+20 = 165 kg.
- Calculate the total force F = 400 N + 420 N - 380 N = 440 N (-380 N because it is the force by which the water resists or tries to stop the motion of the boat)
- Apply the above values in the formula F= MA to calculate the acceleration of the given boat.
Hope this was helpful :)
Keep using topperlearning.com!
Answered by Abhijeet Mishra | 2nd Jul, 2017, 02:54: PM
- Which of the following events does not depend upon Newton 's third law of motion? a]flying of a bird b]Catching of a cricket ball c]walking on the ground d]recoil of a gun
- A certain amount of force produces an acceleration of 8 M/S2 square on an object of mass 750 gram what would be the mass of another object on which the same force produces an acceleration of 12m/S2 there what acceleration this force produced if the two bodies are tied together
- a car of mass 800g is travelling with a velocity of 20m/s . when the brakes are applied. it stops after travelling a distance of 8m.find the retarding force and retardation
- a body of mass 5kg starts and roll down 32m of aninclined plane in 4sec,find the force acting on the body
- Why we don't hurt when we jump on muddy floor compared to hard floor
- A 4 kg block on an inclined plane is acted upon by a horizontal force of 40N as shown in the figure (please refer the image attached). The coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the plane is 0.3. What is the acceleration of the block if it is moving up the plane?(sin37° = 0.6) A) 1.6 m/s^2 up along the plane B) 1.6 m/s^2 down the plane C) 2 m/s^2 up along the plane D) 2 m/s^2 down the plane
- Why does a fielder pull his arms back while trying to catch a cricket ball?
- Give relationship between force and acceleration.
- Two similar trucks are moving with a same velocity on a road. One of them is loaded while the other is empty. Which of the two will require a larger force to stop it?
- A force of 100 N acts on a body of mass 20 kg. Find the acceleration of the body?
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number