The velocity of the wave in of sound depends on bulk modulus and density of the medium derive the formula of velocity
Asked by umeshlochab887 | 12th May, 2021, 06:17: PM
Velocity of sound v in a gaseous medium is related to Bulk modulus B and density ρ .
Velocity of sound v is given as
Bulk modulus B is given as
When sund waves is propagated in a gaseous medium, compression and rarefaction processes are fast ,
hence we can assume adiabatic condition for change in pressure and volume.
For adiabatic process, we have , where C is constant and γ is ratio of specific heat.
Hence we get
Hence from eqn.(2) , we get , ....................(3)
where n is number of moles in a volume V and M is molar mass of gas.
Using eqn.(3) and eqn.(4) , we rewrite eqn.(1) as
In above expression, we have used ideal gas equation , pV = ( n R T )
Answered by Thiyagarajan K | 12th May, 2021, 08:00: PM
- The diameter of an iron wire is 1.20mm. If the speed of the transverse wave in the wire be 50.0m/s , what is the tension in the wire ? The density of iron os 7.7 × 10 raise to 3 k/ m cube
- 2nd sum
- 9th sum
- 19th sum plz
- Answer 23rd ques plz
- What is propagation constant (k)?
- Define longitudinal wave motion. What are the essential conditions required for the formation of longitudinal wave motion?
- Define transverse wave motion. What are the essential conditions required for the formation of transverse wave motion?
- A narrow sound pulse (for example, a short pip by a whistle) is sent across a medium. (i) Does the pulse have a definite (a) wavelength, (b) frequency, (c) speed of propagation? (ii) If the pulse rate is 1 after every 20s (i.e the whistle is blown for a split second after every 20s), is the frequency of the note produced by the whistle equal to 1/20 = 0.05 Hz?
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number