State true or false:(Give reason to support your answer)
1)Chlorine is more electronegative than fluorine.
2)Francium has greater atomic radius, lower Ionisation energy,electron affinity & electronegativity than Caesium.
Asked by rickykumar00001 | 11th Jun, 2015, 01:49: PM
Fluorine( E.N = 4) is more electronegative than chlorine(E.N = 3.0).
The effect of an increase in the atomic size overcomes the effect of an increase in the nuclear charge.So as we move down the group electronegativity decreases.
As we move down in a group, atomic size increases due to successive addition of shells. This increase in the size overcomes the effect of an increase in the nuclear charge. So the ionisation energy, electron affinity and electronegativity decreases.
Answered by Vaibhav Chavan | 11th Jun, 2015, 06:19: PM
- Arrange the following in the decreasing order of metallic character: Argon,Silicon,Aluminium,Sodium.
- GIVE REASON 1 The most metallic element is found at the bottom of a group. 2 1st element in a group is highly non metallic. PLEASE ANSWER IT
- what is the meaning of neutral isolated gaseous atom
- Can hydrogen be a halogen?
- name a non metal with valency 3
- Give reason Alkali metals are good reducing agents
- In period 2 element A is to the right of element B. 1. The element A would probably have a (smaller/larger)atomic size than B.
- Explain why are the following statements not correct : (1)All groups contain metals and non-metals. (2)Atoms of elements in the same group have the same number of electron(s). (3)Non-metallic character decreases across a period with increase in atomic number. (4)Reactivity increases with atomic number in a group as well as in a period.
- Q. 2
- Q. 2
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number