state and explain huygens principle explain how a reflected wavefront is constructed when light travels from denser medium to rarer medium
Asked by ap996969 | 23rd Jan, 2019, 06:04: PM
Huygens principle states the following:
Each point of the wavefront is the source of a secondary disturbance and the wavelets emanating from these points spread out in all directions with the speed of the wave.
These wavelets emanating from the wavefront are usually referred to as secondary wavelets and if we draw a common tangent to all these spheres, we obtain the new position of the wavefront at a later time.
Huygens’ principle is essentially a geometrical construction, which gives the shape of the wave front at any time, allows us to determine the shape of the wavefront at a later time.
Wave-front of a wave, at any instant, is defined as the locus of all the particles in the medium which are being disturbed at the same instant of time and are in the same phase of vibration.
Construction of wavefront when light travels from denser medium to rarer medium:
The rays from different wave pointson the incident wavefront will take some point to reach the corresponding points on the refracted wavefront.
This is better explained by the following equation:
Answered by Science Mate | 24th Jan, 2019, 12:57: AM
- when ray of light passes from one medium to another medium
- Define Huygens Principle
- An object is placed at 10 cm distance infront of a concave mirror of radius of curvature of 20 cm. Find the position,nature and magnification of the image.
- define wave front.state
- use wave theory to verify the laws of reflection and law of reflection
- (a) In young’s double slit experiment, deduce the conditions for obtaining constructive and destructive interference fringes. Hence, deduce the expression for the fringe width. (b) Show that the fringe pattern on the screen is actually a superposition of slit diffraction from each slit. (c) What should be the width of each slit to obtain 10 maxima of the double slit pattern within the central maximum of the single slit pattern, for green light of wavelength 500 nm, if the separation between two slits is 1 mm?
- <div>obtain "laws of refraction "by using hygens principle</div>
- <div>what is the shape of the wavefront on earth for sunlight</div>
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number