Sir, my question to is that when DC current is applied through a capacitor with a bulb in a curcuit, why does the bulb stops glowing when capacitor is fully charged. If the DC power is exhausted then the charge stored in capacitor should make the bulb glow, but it didn't why is it so????????????and as according to video lecture when ac source is applied through a capacitor, the capacitor does not gets charged and it makes bulb glow for all the time,.... why is it so....I'm Confused ...pls help ????????????
Asked by PRIYANKAJ YADAV | 28th Oct, 2014, 09:51: PM
When DC is connected to capacitor with a bulb in a circuit, current will flow through circuit due to which capacitor will get charge. As charge accumulates on the capacitor plates, voltage across capacitor increases soon after battery voltage equals to voltage across capacitor. Therefore capacitor in a DC opposes the current as it charges. When the the capacitor is fully charged current in circuit falls to zero and the bulb stops glowing.
when AC source is applied through a capacitor, It does not completely prevent the flow of charge. Capacitor gets charged and discharged alternately as current reverse in each half cycle of AC. The Capacitive reactance is given as Xc=1/C. As C 1/Xc .Hence on increasing value of C,value Xc decreases which makes bulb glow.
Answered by Priyanka Kumbhar | 29th Oct, 2014, 12:51: PM
- plz ans it sir.
- Deduce that. in a.c. circuit capacitor only current leads the alternating e.m.f by a phase angle of 90º.
- Calculate the frequency of a 5×10-6 F capacitor with 0.032 Ω reactance.
- Condenser blocks d.c. Prove.
- Prove: Average power/cycle associated with a condenser over a complete cycle is 0.
- What is Wattless Current or Idle Current?
- There are two capacitors A and B. Frequency of A is double than that of B but the capacitance is same. Find the ratio of there rectances.
- What are the advantages of a.c. over d.c.?
- What is the dimension of time constant of R-C circuit?
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number