sir i want to ask what is vanthoff vector as i am not getting it so please can u help me
Asked by abhishek singh | 26th Apr, 2015, 10:35: AM
If the molecular mass of a substance determined by studying any of the colligative properties comes out to be different than the theoratically expected value, then the substance is said to show abnormal molecular mass.
The various relations for the colligative properties hold good only for dilute solutions which act as ideal solutions. Thus, even when the solute is non-volatile, non-electrolytic, non-associated and non-dissociated, deviations from the theoratically expected values of colligative properties and molecular masses are observed at higher concentrations. This is because at higher concentrations, the moleculaes are so close to each other that they exert appreciable intermolecular forces of attraction resulting into the deviations from ideal behaviour.
Abnormal molecular masses are observed in any one of the following cases:
(a) When the solution is non-ideal, that is, the solution is not dilute.
(b) When the solute undergoes association in the solution.
(c) When the solute undergoes dissociation in the solution.
To calculate the extent of dissociation or association, van't Hoff in 1880 introduced a factor 'i' called van't Hoff factor.
van't Hoff factor is defined as the ratio of the experimental value of the colligative property to the calculated value of the colligative property that is van't Hoff factor,
Since the clligative proprty is inversely proportional to the molecular mass of the solute, we can also write
Answered by Prachi Sawant | 27th Apr, 2015, 08:52: AM
- 2.15 numerical plz
- concentrated nitric acid used in the laboratory work is 68% nitric acid by mass in aqua solution what should be the molarity of such example of the acid if the density of the solution is 1.504 grams mL^-1
- what is the difference between saturated and super saturated solution
- Mole fraction of glycerine in a solution of 36g of water and 46 g of glycerine
- What are the differences between isotonic and isosmotic solution?
- what are isotonic solution?
- If there are two liquids in a beaker which reacts with each other then will it be considered a solution of liquid in liquid
- What volume of 95 percentage sulphuric acid of density 1.85 g per centimetre cube and what mass of water must be taken to prepare hundred centimetre cube of 15% solution of sulphuric acid of density 1.1 g per centimetre cube
- 1.100 ques plz
- The mole fraction of a very dilute aqueous solution is 0.05. Calculate the molarity of the solution.
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number