CBSE Class 12-science Answered
Go through the properties of p block elements and do the comparative study. Properties are mostly asked.
Important topics in p-block elements are:
Structures of Oxoacids: phosphorus, sulphur,
Structures of Fluoride: sulphur, xenon, bromine
Basicity of group 15 elements
Most important topics/questions
- structures of PCl5, H2SO3, H2SO4, H2S2O8, H2S2O7, HOCl, HClO2, HClO3, HClO4
- Complete the reactions:
- Conceptual questions:
- Draw the resonating structures of:
- NF3 is an exothermic compound whereas NCl3 is not.
- NH3 is a stronger base than PH3. Why?
- Arrange the following in order of the indicated property:
- F2, Cl2, Br2, I2 in increasing order of bond dissociation enthalpy
- HF, HCl, HBr, HI in increasing order of acidic strength
- NH3, PH3, AsH3, SbH3, BiH3 in increasing order of basic strength
- What are interhalogen compounds?
- Sulphur has very high boiling and melting point when compared to oxygen.
- In group 16 tendencies to show -2 oxidation state decreases on going down the group.
- In group 16 +4 oxidation state becomes more stable than +6 oxidation state on going down the group.
- Oxygen can show a maximum covalency of 4 and it cannot form a hexavalent compound.