Show that for a liquid contained in a U-tube and vibrating simple harmonically, the frequency
Asked by Topperlearning User | 4th Jun, 2014, 01:23: PM
Consider a U-tube of uniform cross-section area A filled with a liquid of density . The level of the liquid is vibrating up and down along its mean position OO' as shown in the figure.
The liquid in one arm is depressed by an amount y. The additional thrust of the liquid column of length 2y in one of the arms tends to move the liquid level.
The restoring force = weight of the liquid column of length 2y =
Answered by | 4th Jun, 2014, 03:23: PM
- What will be the period of oscillation of a simple pendulum of length 100 cm in a spaceship in a geostationary orbit?
- Write the formula for the time period of a liquid column of length L, oscillating in a U-tube.
- A vertical U-tube of uniform cross-section contains water up to a height of 20 cm. Calculate the time-period of the oscillation of water when it is disturbed.
- A cylindrical wooden block of cross-section 15 cm2 and mass 230 g is floated over water with an extra weight of 50 g attached to its bottom. The cylinder floats vertically. From the state of equilibrium, it is slightly depressed, and released. Deduce the frequency of oscillation of the block.
- A horizontal platform with an object placed on it is excuting SHM in the vertical direction. The amplitude of oscillation is 2.5 cm. What must be the least period of these oscillations so that the object is not detached from the platform? Take g = 10 ms-2.
- A sphere is hung at the end of a wire, and 30o rotation of the sphere about the wire generates a restoring torque of 4.6 Nm. If the moment of inertia of the sphere is 0.082 kg m2, deduce the frequency of angular oscillations.
- Derive an expression for the time-period and frequency of oscillation of a cylindrical wooden block floating over water when it is slightly depressed, and released from the state of equilibrium.
- If the earth were a homogeneous sphere and a straight hole bored in it through its centre, show that if a body were dropped into the hole it would execute a simple harmonic motion. Also find its time period.
- Show that motion of cylinder floating in the liquid is simple harmonic motion and find the time period of oscillations.
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number