Q - The depth of a bucket filled with water seems to be less than its actual depth, why ?
Asked by jullypradhan001 | 22nd Jul, 2017, 05:59: PM
1) The depth appears to be less because of refraction of light. Light coming from the bottom of the bucket gets refracted and we percieve the depth to be lesser.
2) Consider the following example. I have taken coin for simplifying the diagram.
3) The light coming from the coin placed at the bottom gets refracted away from the Normal because of refraction.
4) So, instead of appearing at its real depth, it appears raised. The same phenomenon is applicable to the bottom of the bucket itself. Hence, the bottom appears raised and we see that the bucket is filled slightly less than it actaully is.
Answered by Romal Bhansali | 23rd Jul, 2017, 12:00: PM
- define the term dispersion of white light. name the colour of light which bends the most.
- 1.A student observes below phenomenon in the lab as a white light passes through a prism. Among many other colors, he observed the position of two colors: red and violet. (A)What is the phenomenon called? (B)What is the reason for violet light to bent more than the red light? (Ref to: image 1) 2 points Add File
- explain. why angle of incidence= Angle of emergence ?
- Why light rays do not bend or refract when they meet the glass slab perpendicularly? (Pls ans theoratically and dont say it is bcs i is 0)
- please explain refraction through glass slab
- explain why pool of water apper to be less dept then its actually is with diagram
- sir. What happens when incident ray falls on the surface of a glass slab? what is angle of incident and angle of refraction? Draw the diagram in this case?
- what happens when a red light passes through a prism?
- what is angle of deviation?
- , glass prism is able to produce a spectrum when white light passes through it but a rectangular block of same transparent glass does not produce any spectrum why
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number