Prove that work= Force * Displacement. (4 marks)
Asked by samanvay.lakhotia | 14th May, 2016, 03:05: PM
Expression of work
The displacement of a body need not always be in the direction of force.
Consider the following case.
Hence, work done is W = F × AB
From the right angled triangle ABC, we have
Thus, the expression of work is W = Fscosθ
Thus, we can conclude that the amount of work done is the product of force, displacement and the cosine of the angle between the force and displacement.
1. If the displacement is in the direction of the force, i.e. θ = 0°, then the work done is W = F × s
This work is maximum and positive.
2. If the displacement is normal to the direction of the force, i.e. θ = 90°, then the work done is W = 0.
Thus, no work is done.
Also, if the displacement is zero, then the work done is zero. This is the case when a body is performing circular motion.
3. If the displacement is in the direction opposite to that of the force, i.e. θ = 180°, then the work done is W = -F × s.
This work is minimum and negative.
Answered by Yashvanti Jain | 16th May, 2016, 11:59: AM
- What is bombarding with 'low energy neutrons'? ?
- What is solar constant
- how does a water. mill and a wind mill work
- what is solar cell
- compare and contrast fossil fuels and the sun as direct sources of energy
- state true or false inside a nuclear reactor there are several rods of uranium used as coolant.
- Sir / Madam, the answer in mcq for sun is exhaustible or inexhaustible is exhaustible. But according to google sun stop shining after about 5 billion years because all the hydrogen in its core will run out which is the main fuel due to the sun produces light . So, how is sun an exhaustible resource...... https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1DFOC_enIN722IN722&sxsrf=ALeKk01FxDzzR6NaiqJemSXjUgozE6Es6A%3A1583300076347&ei=7D1fXuboFOOZmgewopyQBA&q=will+sun+someday+stop+shining&oq=will+sun+someday+stop+shining&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0i22i30.3573.5587..6812...0.2..0.274.1316.0j6j1......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71.xERtvtCTqGA&ved=0ahUKEwjmjv60jIDoAhXjjOYKHTARB0IQ4dUDCAs&uact=5 ( FOR REFERENCE).
- write the energy conversion that takes place in hydropwer plant
- Write difference between thermal power and hydro power plant on the basis of energy generation
- What is the basis of nuclear energy.Explain briefly.
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number