Prove that the lengths of tangents drawn from an external point to a circle are equal.
Asked by Topperlearning User | 27th Jul, 2017, 01:09: PM
Given: A circle with centre O; PA and PB are two tangents to the circle drawn from an external point P.
To prove: PA = PB
Construction: Join OA, OB, and OP.
It is known that a tangent at any point of a circle is perpendicular to the radius through the point of contact.
OA PA and OB PB
OAP = OBP = 90o ... (1)
In OPA and OPB,
OAP = OBP (Using (1))
OA = OB (Radii of the same circle)
OP = PO (Common side)
Therefore, OPA OPB (RHS congruency criterion)
PA = PB (Corresponding parts of congruent triangles are equal)
Thus, it is proved that the lengths of the two tangents drawn from an external point to a circle are equal.
Answered by | 27th Jul, 2017, 03:09: PM
- In the adjoining figure I and II, are circles with P and Q respectively, The two circles touch each other and have common tangent that touches them at points R and S respectively. This common tangent meets the line joining P and Q at O. The diameters of I and II are in the ratio 4 : 3. It is also known that the length of PO is 28 cm. Find the length of SO
- Prove that the perpendicular at the point of contact to the tangent to a circle passes through the centre.
- Two circles with radii a and b touch each other externally. Let c be the radius of circle which touches this circles as well as the common tangent to the circles.Prove that 1/rootc=1/roota+1/rootb.
- Two circles intersect each other at A and B. Prove that the angle subtended by the common tangent PQ at A and B are supplementary
- Help me
- Two circles intersect each other at A and B. One of them passes through the center O of the other. AT is a tangent at A to the circle which passes through O. Prove that AO bisects angleBAT.
- Prove that the tangent drawn at the midpoint of an arc of a circle is parallel to the chord joining the end points of the arc.
- please solve it
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number