Predict the sign of the work done in the following cases:-
(a) work done by a man in lifting a bucket out of a well by means of a rope tied to the bucket.
(b) work done by gravitational force in the above case (a).
(c) work done by friction on a body sliding down an inclined plane.
(d) work done by the resistive force of air on a vibrating pendulum in bringing it to rest.
Asked by Topperlearning User | 4th Jul, 2014, 12:53: PM
(a) Since tension in the rope is in the same direction as displacement, work done is positive.
(b) Work done is negative since gravitational force acts downwards, while displacement is upwards.
(c) Since friction opposes motion down the plane, it is directed opposite to displacement. Therefore work is negative.
(d) Work done by resistive force of air is negative because this force opposes motion.
Answered by | 4th Jul, 2014, 02:53: PM
- please solve the attached problem
- Can o get more number of conceptual questions???
- plz elaborate by figure and step by step question no 5
- plz elaborate by figure and step by step question no 4
- plz elaborate by figure and step by step question no 2
- If the percentage error of momentum of a body is 100%, find the percentage error of the Kinetic energy of the body ising mass and velocity.
- Calculate the work done in raising a stone of mass 5 kg and specific gravity 3,lying at the bed of a lake through a height of5 km .
- 25th sum
- A block of mass 2.5kg is sliding down a smooth inclined plane. The spring arranged near the bottom of the inclined plane has a force constant 600 N/m. Find the compression in the spring just after the block strikes the spring. Horizontal length=4m Height=3m Inclined length=5m
- An electron of energy10^3 eV is fired normally to the infinite.Conducting plate from 5mm.Calculate the minimum surface charge density on the conducting plate so that electron does not strike the plate .
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number