Predict the sign of the work done in the following cases:-
(a) work done by a man in lifting a bucket out of a well by means of a rope tied to the bucket.
(b) work done by gravitational force in the above case (a).
(c) work done by friction on a body sliding down an inclined plane.
(d) work done by the resistive force of air on a vibrating pendulum in bringing it to rest.
Asked by Topperlearning User | 4th Jul, 2014, 12:53: PM
(a) Since tension in the rope is in the same direction as displacement, work done is positive.
(b) Work done is negative since gravitational force acts downwards, while displacement is upwards.
(c) Since friction opposes motion down the plane, it is directed opposite to displacement. Therefore work is negative.
(d) Work done by resistive force of air is negative because this force opposes motion.
Answered by | 4th Jul, 2014, 02:53: PM
- Calculate the work done in raising a stone of mass 5 kg and specific gravity 3,lying at the bed of a lake through a height of5 km .
- 25th sum
- A block of mass 2.5kg is sliding down a smooth inclined plane. The spring arranged near the bottom of the inclined plane has a force constant 600 N/m. Find the compression in the spring just after the block strikes the spring. Horizontal length=4m Height=3m Inclined length=5m
- An electron of energy10^3 eV is fired normally to the infinite.Conducting plate from 5mm.Calculate the minimum surface charge density on the conducting plate so that electron does not strike the plate .
- Two blocks A(3kg) and B(2kg) resting on a smooth horizontal surface is connected by a spring of stiffness 480N/m. Initially the spring is undefined and a velocity of 2m/s is imparted to A along the line of the spring away from B .The max extension in meters of the spring subsequent motion is
- What are the conditions under which a force does no work?
- A body constrained to move along the z-axis of a coordinate system is subjected to a constant force F given by where are unit vectors along the x, y and z-axis of the system respectively. What is the work done by this force in moving the body through a distance of 4 m along the z-axis?
- Convert 1 kilowatt hour into joules.
- A variable force acts on a box. Find the work done on the block as it is moved from x=0m to x=20m.
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number