please give me the tips and tricks to solve a word problem related to quadratic eqation.
Asked by haritsourabhharit | 3rd Oct, 2010, 10:55: AM
1. Firstly you need to identify the unknowns in the given word problem (the thing you are asked to find out), say the speeds of vehicles A and B.
2. Secondly, you will be given some statements so as to relate the two unknowns, say, the speed of vehicle A is twice that of vehicle B, (Using this step, you can substitue the value of one unknown in terms of the other)
3. Thirdly, there will be a statement given to build up the main relation between the two unknowns, say, the time taken by vehicle A is half that by vehicle B. Now you should know that time = distance /speed (note: Distance will be given)
4. Build up the two equations, form it a one unknown problem, solve the quadratic equation to get one of the values.
5. Substitute that value in any of the built up relations to get the second value.
Answered by | 3rd Oct, 2010, 11:28: AM
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number