Manav made an electric circuit and placed a magnetic compass near it. What will happen to the magnetic needle when he switches the circuit ' ON '? Justify your answer.
Asked by Shreeya Nemani | 25th Aug, 2018, 02:51: PM
- If a magnetic neeedle is placed around the electric circuit, and if the circuit is switched on,the magnetic needle will show a deflection.
- Generally, a magnetic needle, like that of a navigator's compass, points towards the Earth's geographic North.
- But when a current carrying circuit is placed near it, the magnetic fields formed due to the flow of electric current in that circuit will cause the magnetic needle to deflect.
- That is the reason why the deflections will occur in that magnetic needle.
- The direction of magnetic field developed due to the current carrying conductor can be leant with the help of Right hand thumb rule.
Right Hand Thumb Rule:
- Magnetic field lines around the current carrying conductor can be realised using the right hand rule as shown in figure.
- Thumb points the current direction and direction of fingers shows the direction of magnetic field line.
- Hence in the picture given in the question magnetic compasses placed above and below the current carrying conductor.
- Magentic field directions are opposite at both points with respect to each other.
- Hence the needles will deflect in opposite direction
Answered by Abhijeet Mishra | 27th Aug, 2018, 04:07: PM
- of which material is the coil of an electromagnet usually made?
- Please explain:- what is electromagnetism?
- why is a battery called battery
- What happens when we increase the number of turns in a solenoid?
- What is electromagnets
- which procedure will you follow to study magnetic field , if you are provided with paraffin oil, iron nail, bar magnet, battery, coil, conductor wire???
- When current is switched on an electric fan converts which energy (mainly) into which energy
- What do you mean by an electromagnet?
- What is the function of needle in a magnetic compass?
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number