List the crieteria a molecule that can act as a genetic material must fulfill. Which one of the crieteria are best fulfilled by DNA or by RNA thus making one of them a better genetic material than the other ? explain.
Asked by pksunilnair | 2nd Oct, 2017, 09:31: PM
Criteria for a molecule to act as the genetic material:
- Replication: The molecule should be able to duplicate its genetic material by faithful replication. This property is shown by both DNA and RNA. Proteins and other molecules present in living being do not exhibit this property.
- Stability: Stability of genetic material should exist. It should not change its structure easily with changed stages of life, age of physiology of living beings. RNA is liable and easily degradable due to presence of 2’—OH group present in each nucleotide. As RNA is catalytic, it has become reactive. Because DNA is more stable than RNA, it is said to be better genetic material. Presence of thymine instead of uracil is another reason which leads to stability of DNA.
- Mutation: Genetic material should be able to undergo mutation and such a change should be stably inherited. Both nucleic acids DNA and RNA have the capacity to mutate. RNA mutates at a faster rate as compared with DNA. Virus with RNA genome show mutation and evolution at a faster rate and thus has shorter life span.
- Genetic expression: RNA expresses easily the characters in the form of proteins. DNA requires RNA for formation of proteins. DNA being more stable is considered better than RNA for storage of genetic information. However, for transmission of genetic characters, RNA gives better results.
Answered by Sheetal Kolte | 3rd Oct, 2017, 11:26: AM
- Give an account on double helix model for structures DNA
- Why is DNA negatively charged?
- why is chromatin absent in ova?
- EXPLAIN THE SOLENOID MODEL OF DNA PACKAGING WITH HISTONES WITH THE HELP OF DIAGRAM FOR 5 MARKS
- What is a nucleosome?
- Write the names of various nitrogenous bases found in RNA.
- What are histones?
- How did Hershey and Chase differentiate between DNA and protein in their experiment, while proving DNA is the genetic material?
- Retroviruses do not follow the central dogma. Comment.
- Explain briefly what is meant by DNA ~ RNA ~ protein.
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number