In Q 20 of gravitation (Why does a block of plastic released under water come up to the surface of water?) it is given that the upthrust experienced by the body is greater than the weight of the body. But Archimedes Principle states that the upthrust exprienced by a body partially or wholly immersed in water is equal to the weight of object immersed. Then shouldn't the upthrust be equal to the weight of the body and not more than it?
Asked by George | 22nd Nov, 2014, 10:38: PM
Archimedes' principle states that " when a body is wholly or partially immersed in a liquid, it experiences a buoyant force or upthrust which is equal to the weight of the liquid displaced by the object" .
It is not like what you have stated: i.e. the upthrust exprienced by a body partially or wholly immersed in water is equal to the weight of object immersed.Both the statement is totally different. The upthrust experienced by a body immersed in liquid is equal to the weight of the liquid displaced by the immersed body.
When an object is put in a liquid, two forces acts on it:
1. Weight of the object acting downwards
2.Upthrust exerted by the liquid on the object, acting upwards.
If the upthrust exerted by the liquid is equal to the weight of the object, then the object will just float in the liquid and if the upthrust exerted by the liquid it is greater than the weight of the object, the object will rise in the liquid and then float.
Hence we can say that when a plastic is released under water, it rises up to the surface of water as the upthrust exerted by the liquid on the plastic block is greater than the weight of the plastic.
Answered by Jyothi Nair | 24th Nov, 2014, 09:05: AM
- When a piece of cork is put into the water it starts floating on the surface of water due to the upward buoyant force from water.
- you are provided with a piece of rock and common laboratory equipments.how will you proceed to find its density.
- what are fluids?
- What is the unit of density?
- What happens if the bouyant force of liquid is equal to or greater than or less than the solid object which is to be immersed into the liquid
- what is the relationship between boyant force and displaced water
- pressure at certain depth in river water is p1.,same depth in sea water is p2.which of following is correct? a)p1=p2 b)p1>p2 c)p1<p2 d)p1-p2=atmospheric pressure
- why is it easier for a person to swim in sea water than in fresh water?
- i couldn't understand relative densities
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number