in My book i studied a activity i saw that -
1.)2Na + 2H2O = 2NaOH + H2
2.)Zn + H2O = ZnO + H2
IN YTHE FIRST EQUATION IN MY BOOK THEY SHOWED A ARROW POINTING UPWARDS AFTER H2
BUT IN SECOND EQUAION THEY DID NOT SHOW ARROW PINTING UPWARDS AFTER H2
CAN OU STATET THE RESON FOR THIS. AND ALSO TELL THAT IF WE BRING A BURNING MATCHSTICK NEAR THE SECOND RECTION WILL THE MATCHSTCK BURN WITH A POP SOUND?
Asked by yogeshmittal177 | 23rd Oct, 2015, 08:49: PM
- In both the reactions, H2 gas liberates as a byproduct.
- But not everytime the chemical reaction is represented with all its state symbols.
- In the second equation, one of the byproduct that is ZnO is a precipoitate which can be shown with the help of downward arrow (↓) beside it.
- So it is not a printing mistake, It is understood that H2 liberates as a gasin both the cases. In first case it is expressed with upward arrow while in the second case it is not expressed.
- In both the reaction, if we bring a burning matchstick near the reaction vessel, it burns with pop sound due to liberationon of H2 gas.
Answered by Prachi Sawant | 25th Oct, 2015, 12:35: PM
- What is noble metal
- If dilute sulfuric acid is poured on a copper plate
- (i) Name the metal which reacts with water only when it is red hot and steam is passed over it. (ii) Write the chemical equation involved.
- (i) How do non-metals react with acids? (ii) Which gas is emitted when metals react with acids?
- Which property of non-metals is employed in protecting some highly reactive non-metals which quickly react in air?
- (a) What happens when calcium reacts with cold water?(b) Why does calcium metal starts floating in water after the reaction?
- Why do we get a popping sound when we bring a burning stick near the mouth of test tube containing acids and metals?
- A metal with silvery appearance is slowly tarnished in air. It reacts with boiling water and evolves hydrogen gas. Dilute hydrochloric acid reacts vigorously with metal evolving hydrogen gas. (i)Identify the metal and (ii) Also write the reactions involved.
- (i)Which metal reacts with hot boiling water to give metal hydroxide and with steam to give metal oxide. (ii)Write the chemical equations involved.
- Write the equations for the reactions of: (i) Iron with dilute hydrochloric acid. (ii) Aluminium with dilute hydrochloric acid (iii) Gold with dilute hydrochloric acid
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number