In how many of the distinct permutations of the letters of the word MISSISSIPPI are possible when four I’s do not come together?
Asked by Topperlearning User | 4th Jun, 2014, 01:23: PM
The word MISSISSIPPI has one M, four I’s, four S’s, two P’s and a total of 11 letters.
The number of all type of arrangements possible with the given alphabets
Let us first find the case when all the I’s together and so take it as one packet or unit. So now we have one M, one unit of four I’s, four S’s, two P’s and a total of 8 units.
Therefore the number of arrangements possible when all the I’s is together
Hence, the distinct permutations of the letters of the word MISSISSIPPI when four I’s do not come together = 34650 – 840 = 33810.
Answered by | 4th Jun, 2014, 03:23: PM
- Ria wants to decorate her table with flowers of different colours on her birthday. She has only 10 flowers with her, out of which 5 are red, 2 white, 2 orange and 1pink. How many ways can she put these ten flowers at 10 different places?
- Code is to be formed by taking 2 letters from vowels of English alphabets followed by 3 digits chosen from 1, 2, 3 or 4. How many ways this code can be made if repetition is allowed.
- How many 5-digits numbers can be formed by using digits 1, 1, 1, 4, 4?
- How many numbers greater than 1000000 can be formed by using the digits 1, 2, 0, 2, 4, 2, 4?
- Find the number of words with or without meaning which can be made using all the letters of the word AGAIN. If these words are arranged in a dictionary, what will be the 50th word?
- In how many can three white balls, four black balls and five red balls be arranged.
- How many different signals can be generated by using 9 flags of which 4 are red, 3 are blue and 2 are green by arranging them on a staff, one below the other?
- In how many ways can the letters of the word ASSASSINATION be arranged so that all the S's are together?
- <div> The number of all possible matrices of order 3 × 3 with each entry 0 or 1 is????..</div> <div>please explain using the concept of permutations and combinations or any other if possible..</div>
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number