In a pollution study of 1500 Indian rivers the following data were reported. 520 were polluted by sulphur compunds, 335 were polluted by phosphorous, 425 were polluted by crude oil, 100 were polluted by both crude oil and sulphur compunds, 152 were polluted by sulphate and phosphate compounds only, 150 were polluted by phosphate and crude oil, and 28 were polluted by all 3 compounds. How many of the rivers were polluted by exactly one of the 3 impurities?
Asked by Varshini Srinivasan | 20th Jun, 2014, 07:07: PM
U represents the collection of all the Indian rivers.
S represents the rivers polluted by sulphur compunds.
P represents the rivers polluted by phosphorous.
C represents the rivers polluted by crude oil.
The number of rivers polluted by sulpher compound only is given by
The number of rivers polluted by Crude oil only is given by
The number of rivers polluted by phosphate compound only is given by
Total number of rivers polluted by exactly one of the 3 impurities
Answered by Vimala Ramamurthy | 23rd Jun, 2014, 03:35: PM
- A and B are two sets such that n (A) = 4 and n(B) = 8. Find the minimum value of n(A B).
- A survey was conducted on 110 people of Delhi. It was found that 65 people watched Hindi movie and 51 watched English movie and where as 24 watched both the movies. Find the number of people who did not watch any movie on that day.
- Let A and B be two finite disjoint sets such that n (A B) = 400, n(A) = 250. Find n(B).
- Let A and B be two finite sets such that n(A – B) = 30, n (A B) = 180, n(A B) = 60, find n(B).
- Out of 600 mobile owners investigated, 500 owned Nokia hand set and 180 owned Tata hand set; 30 owned both Nokia and Tata hand sets. Is this data correct?
- In a group of 85 people, 50 like Hindi movies, 10 like both Hindi and English movies. How many like English movies and not Hindi. How many like English movies?
- In a group, students know at least one of the languages, German or French. 100 students know German and 40 know French and 10 know both German and French. If there are 20 students who know neither of the two languages, how many students are there in the group?
- A class got 48 distinctions in maths, 25 in physics and 30 in chemistry. If these went to a total of 68 students and only 5 students got distinctions in all the three subjects, how many students got distinctions in exactly two of the three subjects?
- If A and B are two sets such that has 40 elements, A has 30 elements and B has 20 elements, how many elements does the shaded region have?
- In a class of 60 students 30 students play harmonium and 40 students play guitar. How many students play both the instruments?
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number