in a football championship 153 matches were played. every team played one match with each other. the number of team participating in the championship
Asked by Piyush Gupta | 9th Aug, 2010, 12:00: AM
Let the number of teams be N namely T1, T2 , . . . TN.
Since, each team played one game with the other game, so T1 played (N-1) games, T2 played (N-2) games and so on.
Hence, total number of games being played is (N-1) + (N-2) + . . . + 1 + 0 = N(N-1)/2
The total number of games being played is given as 153.
=> 153 = N(N-1)/2
=> 306 = N2 - N
=> N2 - N - 306 = 0
Solving this quadratic equation, we get N = 18 or N = -17
But as number of teams can not be negative, therefore total number of teams in the tournament is 18.
Answered by | 30th Nov, 2017, 11:35: AM
- How many triangles can be formed by joining any 3 of the 9 points when i) no 3 of them are collinear? ii) 5 of them are collinear?
- Find n if
- I have four currency notes valued at Rs 50,100 and 2 notes of 500.In how many ways can I select the currency note ,so that only one type of note is selected each time?
- There are 15 points in a plane, no more than 2 of which are collinear. How many pentagons in all can be made using these points?
- As a part of festive decoration, Mayank go to buy decorative lights. The shopkeeper shows him a box containing 8 flashlights, all of different colors. He only need 3. How many different sets of 3 flashlights can be chosen?
- What are the total number of proper divisors for 900?
- How many triangles can be drawn through 10 points in a plane?
- In how many ways can a student choose a programme of 5 courses if 9 courses are available and 2 courses are compulsory for every student.
- A library membership allows 4 books to be borrowed at any given time. Rahul goes to the library and finds that he likes two books on a given shelf which contains 15 books in all. Rahul has decided that he would either take both the books or take none of these two. In how many ways can he select 4 books?
- Determine the number of 5 card combination out of a deck of 52 cards if each selection of 5 cards has at least one king.
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number