If water is a covalent compound and do not conduct electricity then,why does a person get a shock if he/she touches a live wire with wet feet or hands?

Asked by Anju Charan | 26th Oct, 2013, 05:36: PM

Expert Answer:

Pure water does not contain any free electrons and is a non-conductor of electricity. However when a person touches a live wire with wet hands or feet, he gets a shock. This is because impure water may contain salts, minerals, dirt and dissolved impurities which help in the conduction of electricity. 

Answered by Karishma Kapoor | 28th Oct, 2013, 11:23: AM

Queries asked on Sunday & after 7pm from Monday to Saturday will be answered after 12pm the next working day.