If only one male gamete fuses with the female gamete then how are twins and triplets born?

Asked by deepikankur | 1st Dec, 2017, 09:38: AM

Expert Answer:

Twins are formed in one of two ways:

  • Identical twins occur when a single fertilized egg splits into two.
  • Fraternal twins occur when two, separate eggs are fertilized by two, separate sperms.

Triplets can be either formed after one fertilised egg which has split into three identical embryos, or they are formed from separate eggs.

Triplets can also occur when there is a set of identical twins conceived and another egg is released which is then fertilised by another sperm.

Answered by Sheetal Kolte | 1st Dec, 2017, 10:55: AM