i) Write the correct order of the chemical reactivity of F, Cl, O and N on the basis of their oxidizing power.
ii) Explain the cause of diagonal relationship.
Asked by Topperlearning User | 27th Jun, 2016, 01:03: PM
i) The oxidizing character increases across a period i.e. on moving from left to right. So, among F, O and N, oxidizing power decreases in the order F > O > N. However, with in a group, oxidizing power decreases from top to bottom. Thus, F is a stronger oxidizing agent than Cl. So, the overall decreasing order of oxidizing power is: F > Cl > O > N.
ii) In the periodic table, along the period electro negativity increases and electropositivity increases along a group. As a result the two effects tend to cancel each other in moving diagonally from top left to bottom right. Therefore, the elements are diagonally related in this way tend to have similar properties.
Answered by | 27th Jun, 2016, 03:03: PM
- Define catalyst
- Name the element which shows diagonal relationship with Beryllium (Be).
- Give examples of three amphoteric oxides.
- What is the difference between an amphoteric oxide and a neutral oxide?
- Why do halogens act as good oxidizing agents?
- Explain with the help of chemical reaction that MgO is basic oxide while P4O10 is an acidic oxide
- What is the relationship between diagonal relationship of an element and the polarizing power of an element?
- Predict the formulae of the stable binary compounds that would be formed by the following pairs of elements i) Element 114 and fluorine ii) Element 120 and Oxygen
- Explain briefly the factors responsible for the difference in the behavior of the first member of group in the s and p block as compared to the other members of the same group.
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number