How to identify central metal atom ?

Asked by mauryagoldy31116 | 3rd Aug, 2014, 04:16: PM

Expert Answer:

In a coordination entity, the atom/ion to which a fixed number of ions/groups are bound in a definite geometrical arrangement around it, is called the central atom or ion. For example, the central atom/ion in the coordination entities: [NiCl2(H2O)4], [CoCl(NH3)5]2+ and [Fe(CN)6]3– are Ni2+, Co3+ and Fe3+, respectively.

Central metal is usually a transition metal (the 38 elements from group three through 12 of the periodic table).

Answered by Hanisha Vyas | 4th Aug, 2014, 10:10: AM

Queries asked on Sunday & after 7pm from Monday to Saturday will be answered after 12pm the next working day.