how to find the state of hybridisation and geometry of a given compound when its magnetic moment is given?
Asked by vasturushi | 10th Nov, 2017, 08:25: PM
Let's take a examples,
[MnBr4 ]2- have magnetic moment 5.9 BM.
In this complex 4 Br are attached to Mn i.e. co-ordination no. of Mn is 4 therefore it can be either tetrahedral or squar planner.
But its magnetic moment is 5.9 BM that means it contains 5 unpaired electrons therefore its shape should be terahedral(sp3) rather than square planer(dsp2)
Let's take another example
[Ni(CN)4]2- is dimagnetic (all electrons are paired up)
As it is a dimagnetic compound that means all electrons are paired therefore its shape should be square planner (dsp2 )
In this way we can find out the geometry and shape of co-ordination compounds with the help of there magnetic moment
Answered by Ramandeep | 11th Nov, 2017, 06:07: PM
- 𝕍𝔹𝕋 𝕠𝕗 [ℂ𝕠(ℂ2𝕆4)3]^-3
- Coordination compounds predict the hybridisation and geometry of [Mn F6]3- on the basis of valence bond theory with diagram showing electron filling.
- Pl answer
- Pl answer
- the primary and secondary valencies of the central metal ion in the [Co(NH3)Cl3
- What is the oxidation number of Ni in Ni(CO)4 ?
- What is synergic effect
- Explain structure of ferrocyanide ion? Explain the coordinating bonding between Fe and cyanide ion? How many cyanide ion form covalent and coordinate bond? Explain full structure with detail
- The magnetic moment for two complexes of empirical formula Ni(NH3)4 (NO3)2.2H2O is zero and 2.84 BM repectively. The second complex is not a neutral complex. The correct formula and geometry of the first complex is : (1) [Ni(H2O)2(NO3)2].4NO3 = Tetrahedral (2) [Ni(NH3)4] (NO3)2.2H2O = Tetrahedral (3) [Ni(NH3)4](NO3)2.2H2O = Square planar (4) [Ni(NH3)4(H2O)2](NO3)2 = Octahedral
- Define cis and trans isomerism. Draw the cis and trans isomers of [Co(NH3)4Cl2]+ ion?
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number