HOW SMALL SIZE OF CARBON HELPS IN CATENATION AND FORMATION OF MUTIPLE BOND (THAT IS SINGLE BOND, DOUBLE BOND AND TRIPLE BOND )?PLEASE EXPLAIN IN DETAIL AND REASONS.
Asked by abinash.gupta003 | 6th Nov, 2017, 05:07: PM
Thanks for asking us a question in Ask the Expert section of TopperLearning.com.
first of all, let's understand what catenation of carbon is,
Catenation: Carbon has the unique ability to form bonds with other atoms of carbon, giving rise to a large number of carbon compounds. This property is called catenation.
Carbon shows catenation property because of
1) High C-C bond energy
2) Tetravalency of C
3) Small atomic size
Because of small size, the bond between C-C has high bond energy, therefore, it can show catenation with multiple bonds.
Answered by Ramandeep | 6th Nov, 2017, 05:58: PM
- A mixture of O2 and ethyne is used for welding purpose. Can you tell why a mixture of ethyne and air is not used?
- Explain how the fullerenes can be made good conductor of electricity
- How can we easily remember the Naming of carbon compond
- lewis dot structure and explanation of H2SO4 and CO
- Show me the electron dot structure of CH2(Methylene).Also show the bonding.(2 or 3 marks)
- What are carbon compounds?
- mam/sir, I made one formula to find the number of covalent bonds between the hydrocarbon so please will you tell me that it really works or not
- What is the importance of homologous series
- write the names of first two members of homologous series Alkenes?
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number