how should i name this compound?
Asked by Aradhana Goswami | 20th Feb, 2014, 09:36: PM
- First select the longest continuous carbon chain containing the functional group.
- Start numbering the chain from the end so that the functional group should get the lowest possible number.
- Then the substituent carbon cain should get the lowest possible number.
- The substituent carbon chain in this compound is n-propyl.
- The fuctional group is ketone.
- The longest continuous carbon chain containing ketone group is hexanone.
- The lowest possible number for the fuctional group is 2.
- The substituent chain is n-propyl.
- Hence, the name of this compound is 3-n-propyl-2-hexanone.
Answered by | 21st Feb, 2014, 01:08: PM
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number