How earthquakes some times cause disaster?
Asked by Topperlearning User | 4th Jun, 2014, 01:23: PM
When the waves produced during earthquake have same frequency as that of the natural frequency of buildings, the resonance takes place and the building start vibrating with large amplitude and the amplitude is to large that the buildings collapse. In this way the earthquakes causes big disaster.
Answered by | 4th Jun, 2014, 03:23: PM
- What are coupled oscillations?
- Define the following : (i) damped oscillations (ii) maintained oscillations (iii) forced oscillations (iv) resonant or sympathetic vibrations.
- Why are soldiers ordered to move out of step while crossing a bridge?
- At a certain speed of a bus, the body of the bus starts vibrating strongly. Why?
- Why is loud sound heard at resonance?
- Glass window panes are some time broken by an explosion even taking place far away. Why?
- An aeroplane passing over the building sometime causes rattling of windows of the building. Explain why?
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number