How could we determine an element on the basis of given group and/or period ?
Asked by | 21st Feb, 2008, 07:23: PM
As per the modern periodic law the elements are arranged in increasing order of atomic number, and there are 18 groups and 7periods. There are 2 elements in 1 period, 8 each in 2 and 3 period, 18 each in 4 and 5 period 32 in 6 period and 7 period is in complete. Also rememember 1 group is called alkali metals, 2 is alkaline earth metals, 3 to 12 are called transition metals and 13 boron family,m 14 carbon family, 15 nitrogen family, 16 oxygen family, 17 halogens and 18 inert gas or nobel gases. Left side and bottom row elements are metals. Right hand side elements and top rows are nonmetals. If the position in period and group is known the atomic number and element can be identifyied as metal or nonmetal.
For example element is present in 14 group and 2period. Count from left, 1 period has 2 elements--H and He, 3 period has 8 elements. Atomic number 3,4, 5, will be in 1, 2 and 13 groups. Atomic number of this element is 6 and it is carbon. the whole group is called carbon family.
Answered by | 7th Dec, 2017, 06:49: PM
- Modern period table
- 1. Electronic configuration of an element ‘x’ is 2.8.1 and for ‘Y’ 2.8.7 then mention the bond existing between 2 elements. a) Covalent bond b) Ionic bond c) Hydrogen bond d) Metallic bond 2. Identify the element in a 2nd period and 14th group with valency 4. a) Carbon –C b) Silicon – Si c) Boron – B d) Fluorine – F 3. Modern periodic law state that “the properties of elements are the periodic function of their ___________. a) Atomic number b) Atomic mass c) Valiancy d) Atomic radius. Name the group of hydrogen. 9. In a Modern periodic table how the ionization energy, metallic nature and atomic radius vary? 10. 6 C 12 , 20Ca40 , 21SC45 Write the Electronic configuration of given elements and mention the group period and block
- How tp learn the symbols element
- drawbacks of mendeleev and modern periodic table with example
- Que:-How it can be proved that the basic structure of the Modern Periodic Table is based on the electronic configuration of atoms of different elements?
- how does the atomic size vary as you go down a group?
- Just as the way we locate a point on graph as (x, y), can we locate an element as (group number, period)?
- Dear teachers give some questions. From the chapter periodic classification of element .. that will come on board
- what are noble gases
- please explain diagonal relationship
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number