Here my doubt is that why is the naming not started from the carbon numbered 2 here as then the 1st Methyl group will be on the 2nd position , 2nd will be on the 3rd position and 3rd will be on the 5th position which will lead to the answer as :-
And why is this answer incorrect? please explain in detail.
Asked by akjain31 | 29th Mar, 2015, 01:04: PM
If you see at the organic compound, there is a double bond.
As per the IUPAC nomenclature, first priority while numbering is given to the double bond then the methyl group.
This is done so as to give the double bond the lowest numbering while naming the organic compound.
So the numbering will start from the double and the IUPAC name of the compound is 1,4,6- trimethylcyclhex-1-ene.
Overhere if you see the double bond and the methyl group is getting the lowest numbering, so the correct name of the organic compound is 1,4,6- trimethylcyclhex-1-ene.
If you start numbering from the carbon number 2, the methyl group will get number 2 and the name of the compound will be 2,3,5-Trimethylcyclohexene which is not correct.
Please keep in mind while numbering give priority to the functional group then the methyl group.
Hope the explanation helps you.
Answered by Arvind Diwale | 29th Mar, 2015, 08:36: PM
- what is structure of CH2=CH2 and mention hybridization of carbon atom in CH2=CH2
- Indicate Π bonds in c6h12 molecule
- Write : (a) molecular formula, (b) electron dot formula and (c) structural formula of ethene (ethylene). 2. The molecules of alkene family are represented by a general formula CnH2n. Answer the following: (a) What do n and 2n signify ? (b) What is the name of alkene when n = 4? (c) What is the molecular formula of alkene when n= 4? (d) What is the molecular formula of the alkene if there are ten H atoms in it ? (e) What is the structural formula of the third member of the alkene family? (f) Write the molecular formula of lower and higher homologous of an alkene which contains four carbon atoms. 3. (a) Distinguish between the saturated hydrocarbon ethane and the unsaturated hydrocarbon ethene by drawing their structural formulae. (b) Draw the structures of isomers of butene and write their IUPAC names. 4. Give a balanced equation for the lab. preparation of ethylene. How is the gas collected ?
- What are alkenes?
- What is cis/tras isomerism?
- What types of isomerism is shown by alkenes?
- Why do alkenes show geometrical isomerism? Explain with examples.
- Give three methods for preparation of alkenes.
- What is E/Z isomerism?
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number