Asked by Shubham Jain | 22nd Nov, 2014, 04:27: PM
The possible causes for the one sided deflection in the galvanometer during potentiometer experiment can be:
1. The potential difference between the ends of the potentiometer wire or the emf of the cell connected in the main circuit may not be greater than the emf of the cells whose emf are to be compared .
2. The positive terminals of the cells and the battery used in the circuit might not be connected to the same end of the potentiometer wire.
3.The rheostat might not be adjusted properly and kept in such a position that it offers minimum resistance to the circuit and allows maximum current through the wire.
If your circuit is not properly connected then you will not obtain the null point, it will show one sided deflection in the galvanometer which can be due to the above stated causes.
When you find difficulty in getting the null point i.e. if you obtain one sided deflection on placing the jockey at two ends of the potentiometer wire it means that you have made some mistake in the circuit connection. In such cases ensure your connections, check if all connections are tight and connecting wires are not broken also check if you have taken care of the above stated causes.
Answered by Jyothi Nair | 22nd Nov, 2014, 11:38: PM
- the instrument based on null deflection method is
- 1 kilo watt = ?
- WHY CURRENT OF 220V IS HARMFUL ?
- Why can we not use rubber to make electric wires?
- Why do we prefer a potentiometer of longer length for getting the accurate readings?
- What do you mean by sensitivity of potentiometer? How can we increase the sensitivity of potentiometer?
- A potentiometer wire is 5 m long and a potential difference of 6 V is maintained between its ends. Find the emf of a cell which balances against a length of 180 cm of the potentiometer wire.
- The potential gradient along the length of uniform wire is 20 Vm-1. The length of wire is 1m. What is the potential difference across two points on the wire separated by distance 40 cm?
- State the uses of potentiometer
- The force on an electron in a potentiometer wire is 3.2 X 10-19 N. The length of the wire is 6 m. What is the e.m.f of the battery connected across the wire?
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number