Give reasons for the following statements:
a. Nature favours cross pollination.
b. Vegetative propagation is quicker than sexual reproduction.
c. Some plants produce large flowers with sweet smell.
Asked by bhawnadevi8092 | 16th Nov, 2018, 06:33: PM
(a) Nature always wants to get the best set of characters which help it to flourish in adverse conditions. This can only be achieved by having variations in individuals. In self-pollination, there will be fusion of male and female gametes from the same parent plant. Hence, there will no new variant formed and no evolution. However, in cross-pollination, the fusion of two different male and female gametes results in variation in the progeny produced. Hence, nature favours cross-pollination over self-pollination.
(b) Vegetative propagation is quicker than sexual reproduction because only one parent is involved. There is no fusion of gametes involved and hence, comparatively lesser energy is spent in vegetative propagation.
(c) Some plants produce large flowers with a sweet smell so as to attract insects for pollination.
Answered by Sheetal Kolte | 19th Nov, 2018, 04:17: PM
- If we remove the stamens of all the pea flowers in a garden , which phenomenon will be affected - fruit fromation, pollination or fertlisation?
- Animals grow only till a particular age where as plants grow throughout their life. Justify it & why?
- Differentiate between self pollination and cross pollination.
- I what is zycote
- What is pollination
- it is obtained from nector
- From where does bees collect nectar?
- What happens when the male and female gamete are fused together? What does it develop into?
- What do you understand by pollination?
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number