FORMS A DIMER BUT DOES NOT WHY ??
Asked by catherinejohnson2k | 5th Sep, 2016, 10:38: PM
NO2 has an unpaired electron. Hence it behaves as typical odd electron molecule. Because of the presesnce of an unpaired electron, it has a tendency to dimerise to N2O4, with even number of electrons.
ClO2 is also an odd electron molecule, but it is stabilised by resonanace. Hence, it does not undergo dimerisation.
Answered by Prachi Sawant | 6th Sep, 2016, 10:03: AM
- pls explain
- why nitrogen have long range of oxidation state?
- We know that nitrogen can't have +5 oxidation state,so why N2O5 exists?
- Why NO does not dimerise even it has odd electron?
- Explain the structures of BCl3 and PH3 with the help of theory of hybridisation.
- A gas X is formed by heating ammonium nitrite. X can also be obtained by heating barium azide. Mg metal burns in X to form Y. Y reacts with water to form a gas zZwhich turns red litmus blue. Identify X,Y and Z. Write all the reactions involved.
- A gas is obtained by the reaction of magnesium nitride with water. It acts as a lewis base and turns red litmus blue. It reacts with CuO as a reducing agent. It is obtained from two elements by reacting at 700K and high pressure. It is highly soluble in water. It forms blue coloured solution with copper sulphate. Identify the gas and write all the reactions involved.
- GROUP 15 ELEMENT QUES . 1) An unknown salt X react with hot conc. to produce a brown coloured gass which intensifies on addition on copper turnings . on adding dilute ferrous sulphate olution to an aqueous solution to an aquaeous solution of X and then carefully adding conc. along the sides of testtube , a brown complex Y i formed at the interface between the solution and . identify X and Y and write the reactions involved . 2) A transuclent waxy solid A on heating it on inert atmosphere is converted into its allotropic form B . Allotrope A on reaction with very dilute aqueous NaOH LIBERATES a highly poisonous gas C having rotten fih mell . The ubstance A reacts with excess of chlorine to form D which hydrolysis to form compound E .Identify A to E . Also write the reaction involved Thankyou
- mention the conditions required to maximise the yield of ammonia (group 15)
- though nitrogen exhibits +5 oxdn state it does not form pentahalide why (2m)
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number