First ionisation enthalpy of two elements X and Y are 500kJ/mol and 375kJ/mol respectively.Comment about their relative position in a group as well as in a period.
Asked by rickykumar00001 | 11th Jun, 2015, 01:32: PM
Across a period:
The ionisation energy tends to increase as one moves from left to right across a period.
Since Y has a lower value than X, it will appear to the left of the periodic table and X will appear to the right of the periodic table.
Down a group:
Ionisation energy decreases with an increase in the atomic size i.e. it decreases as one moves down the group.
Therefore X with a higher value than Y will appear at the upper part of the periodic table and Y will appear at the lower part of the periodic table.
Answered by Vaibhav Chavan | 11th Jun, 2015, 06:32: PM
- state the trend in chemical reactivity : I) across the period left to right, 2) down the group
- periodic classification of elements
- which metal has most electron affinity and which has least and why? Na, K, Li, or Cs
- which element has smallest atomic radius and which element has largest atomic radius in the periodic table?
- which element has least electron affinity and which has the most electron affinity in the periodic table?
- why melting and boiling points of metal decreases down the group?? why melting and boiling point of metal first increses across a period , till 14A and then decreses??
- In the same period or subgroup a gradual change in a particular property may be seen.
- Arrange the following in the decreasing order of metallic character: Argon,Silicon,Aluminium,Sodium.
- GIVE REASON 1 The most metallic element is found at the bottom of a group. 2 1st element in a group is highly non metallic. PLEASE ANSWER IT
- what is the meaning of neutral isolated gaseous atom
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number