Find the magnetic field induction at a point on the axis of a circular coil carrying current.
Asked by Topperlearning User | 18th May, 2015, 03:35: PM
Consider a circular coil of radius (a ) with centre O. Let current I be flowing in the coil. Suppose P is any point on the axis of the circular coil at s diastance x from its centre O.
Consider two small elements of the coil each of length dl at C and D which are situated at diametrically opposite edges as shown in figure b.
As per the figure b, PC = PD =
CPO = Ø = DPO
According to Biot Savart"s law, the magnetic field induction at P due to current element at C is
(Because θ = , as a is small)
Similarly, the magnitude of magnetic field at P due to current element at D is
From eq. 1 and 2
dB = dB"
Resolving and into two rectangular components:
i. dBcosØ acts along PY and dBsinØ acts along PX.
ii. dB"cosØ acts along PY" and dB"sinØ acts along PX.
Since the component of the magnetic field along PY and PY" are equal and opposite, they cancel each other and the components of the magnetic field along PX and PX" (along the axis of the coil) being in the same direction are added up. Therefore the total magnetic field induction at P due to current through the whole circular coil is given by
Putting both the values in eq.31
If the coil has n turns then
Answered by | 18th May, 2015, 05:35: PM
- derivation and expression for the magnetic induction at point dou to strith current carring condoctor
- An electron and a proton having equal momenta enter a uniform magnetic field at right angles to the field lines. What will be the ratio of the radii of curvature of their trajectories?
- State Biot Savart's law for the magnetic field produced at a point due to current element.
- How will you find the direction of the magnetic field produced due to the current element of conductor?
- Find the magnetic field produced by a long straight conductor of length L carrying current I of negligible area of cross section at a point on the conductor itself?
- When will be the magnetic field produced at a point due to current element maximum and minimum?
- Find the magnetic field produced if the point lies at the centre of circular coil carrying current?
- What happens to the magnetic field of the coil on its axis at a point very very far away from its centre, if the radius of the coil is doubled keeping the current flowing through it unchanged?
- Deduce the expression for the magnetic field induction at the centre of a circular electron orbit of radius r and angular velocity of orbiting electron ω.
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number