Figure shows two identical capacitors, C1 and C2 each of 1 μF capacitance connected to a battery of 6 V. Initially switch 'S' is closed. After sometime 'S' is left open and dielectric slabs of dielectric constant K = 3 are inserted to fill completely the space between the plates of the capacitors. How will the (i) charge and (ii) potential difference between the plates of the capacitors be affected after the slabs are inserted?
Asked by Topperlearning User | 24th Apr, 2015, 11:07: AM
Charge QD = CDVD will not change.
Where CD = KC = increases K times
VD = V/K = decreases K times
Charge QD = CD V
Potential V remains the same as 6V
Charge QD = KCV = KQ, increases K times.
Answered by | 24th Apr, 2015, 01:07: PM
- What is the importance of joining capacitors in series and parallel?
- Write any two characteristics of series combination of capacitors.
- What is the use of Van de Graff generator?
- Why neutrons can not be accelerated using a Van de Graff generator?
- There are two capacitors of capacitance C1 and C2 connected in series. Calculate the equivalent capacitance of the system.
- Find the equivalent capacitance of capacitors C1 and C2 connected in parallel.
- Find the total charge and the charge stored between the plates of each capacitor.
- The spherical metal shell in a Van de Graff type generator is supposed to be a 3 x 107 V electrode. The dielectric strength of the gas surrounding the electrode is 5 x 107 Vm-1. What is the minimum radius of the spherical shell required?
- Find the value of C in the following fig., if equivalent capacitance between A and B is 30μf.
- Two capacitors 60 farad and 40 farad are connected in series. If an external battery is applied which is 60 V, find the charge stored on each capacitor plate, and the total electrical energy stored in the system of two capacitors. Along with finding the potential difference across each capacitor.
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number