Explain why a stone thrown on a glass window smashes the window pane into pieces, but a bullet from the gun passes through making a clean hole.
Asked by Topperlearning User | 4th Jun, 2014, 01:23: PM
The velocity of stone is much less than that of the bullet fired from a gun. Due to its low speed the stone remains in contact with the window pane for a longer time and hence motion is shared by whole of the window pane.
On the other hand, the bullet fired from gun, remains in contact with the window pane for such a small time that it shares its motion only with a portion of the window pane. That's why it makes a clean hole in the window pane.
Answered by | 4th Jun, 2014, 03:23: PM
- what is 2 law of motin
- establish Newton's first law from second law
- Water drops are falling in regular intervals of time from top of height 9m. If 4th drop begins to fall when 1st drop reaches the ground, find the positions of 2nd and 3rd drops from the tower.
- State Newton's second law of motion.
- What is SI unit of force? State it.
- What do you mean by momentum?
- What do you understand by weight or gravitational force.
- An object of mass 5 kg is acted upon by two perpendicular forces 8 N and 6 N. Give the magnitude and direction of the acceleration of the object?
- A man is driving a car with a speed of 36 km/hr (roughly 10 m/s). Suddenly a child appears in the middle of the road. He slams on the brakes, which in turn exerts a retarding force of 1000 N. The mass of the man and the car together is 500 kg. If the child is 27 metres away from the car when he first hit the brakes, will the child be saved?
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number