explain the polygon law of vector addition?
Asked by aashu.60 | 22nd Jul, 2015, 11:37: AM
Polygon law of vector addition states that if a number of vectors can be represented in magnitude and direction by the sides of a polygon taken in the same order, then their resultant is represented in magnitude and direction by the closing side of the polygon taken in the opposite order.
Let us find the resultant of four vectors .
In traingle OKL, the vectors are represented by the sides taken in the same order. Therefore, from the triangle law of vector addition, the closing side taken in the opposite order represents the resultant of vectors .
Thus, . ... (1)
By applying the traingle law of vector addition to the traingle OLM, It shows that the side is the resultant of vectors i.e., .
Using eg (1), we get,
Similarly applying the triangle law of vector addition to the triangle OMN, we get,
Using eq (2), we get,
Now the vectors .
Denoting the vector, , the equation becomes,
Answered by Faiza Lambe | 22nd Jul, 2015, 12:22: PM
- A particle is located at 5i^ +6j^ + 7k^ at t=0.. After 5 seconds, it is located at 2i^+5j^ +5k^. The magnitude of displacement of the particle in XY plane is: ???
- if |A|=|B|=|A-B|, then find the angle b/w the two vectors
- how to find component of vector ?
- Find the resultant and the direction of resultant of two vectors A and B with angle between them
- how to find subtraction of vectors
- Why are we taught the resolution of vectors if we already have the triangle law to find the resulatnt vector ?
- A particle possesses two velocities at the same time one 4 m/s due south and other the 2√2 m/s due north- east. Find the magnitude and direction of resultant velocity.
- Doubt in attached image
- how to find resolution of vectors
- let angle beyween two nonzero vectors A bar and Bbar 120° and resultant be C bar
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number